Last summer, the federal government quietly held back billions of dollars in school funding Congress had already approved — money districts had already built into their July budgets. Here’s what actually happened to it, and why the six weeks in between mattered more than how the story ended.
A Freeze Nobody Saw Coming
On June 30, 2025, the U.S. Department of Education told states that their July 1 formula grants would not include several programs Congress had funded back in March. The department froze more than $6 billion in already-approved school funding — Education Week and NPR both put the figure at $6.8 billion — covering after-school and summer learning, English language acquisition, migrant education, adult education, and teacher professional development. Twenty-four states and Washington, D.C. sued.
If your building runs after-school programming, English-learner support, or teacher training, that freeze wasn’t an abstract line in a budget fight. It was the week before school started, and the federal share of those programs simply didn’t show up.
Why the Administration Said It Withheld the Money
The Office of Management and Budget said a “programmatic review” had found many of the grants “grossly misused to subsidize a radical leftwing agenda.” States said the freeze broke federal funding law and the Impoundment Control Act, which limits a president’s ability to unilaterally withhold money Congress has already appropriated.
The Lawsuit
The suit, State of California v. McMahon, was filed July 14, 2025, in U.S. District Court in Rhode Island. Plaintiffs included Arizona, California, New York, Pennsylvania (through Gov. Josh Shapiro), Kentucky (through Gov. Andy Beshear), and 19 other states, plus D.C.
California Attorney General Rob Bonta, who co-led the effort, didn’t mince words: “With no rhyme or reason, the Trump Administration abruptly froze billions of dollars in education funding just weeks before the start of the school year,” Bonta said.
The Money Started Moving — Slowly
A day before the lawsuit was filed, the administration released about $1.3 billion in Title IV-B after-school funds. A first tranche of the remaining formula money reached states the week of July 28, 2025 — nearly a month after districts had expected it.
How It Ended
By late August 2025, both sides asked the court to dismiss the case. The department agreed to release a second tranche no later than October 3, 2025, without admitting the states were right on the law. K-12 Dive and Maryland Matters reported the joint motion. Judge Melissa DuBose formally dismissed the case on September 12, 2025.
That’s a different story from the site’s earlier piece on Congress threatening to slash billions from next year’s budget. This one is the freeze that already happened, the lawsuit it triggered, and the walk-back that resolved it months ago.
Why the Timing Was the Real Damage
For a classroom, the six-week gap is the part that actually mattered. After-school funding is often the only federal dollar holding together a late bus route and a snack program. English-learner and teacher-training grants are frequently how a building covers the extras the general fund won’t touch. A delay landing in July and August isn’t a minor scheduling hiccup — it’s the start of the school year. Even once the money finally arrived in October, buildings had already staffed around the hole, cut programming, or borrowed against next year’s budget to cover it.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much federal school funding was frozen?
The U.S. Department of Education withheld more than $6 billion — Education Week and NPR reported $6.8 billion — in already-approved formula grants beginning July 1, 2025.
What happened to the lawsuit over the freeze?
Twenty-four states and Washington, D.C. sued in State of California v. McMahon. The department released the funds in two tranches by early October 2025, and the case was dismissed on September 12, 2025, without either side admitting fault.
Is this the same as the FY26 funding-cuts fight in Congress?
No. That was a separate story about proposed cuts Congress considered — and ultimately didn’t enact — for next year’s budget. This is the funding freeze that already happened, was litigated, and was resolved months earlier.